Thursday, January 2, 2014

BACK TO THE CABIN by Dale Mulfinger, photographs by Cheryl Koralik

Some may consider this one a 'coffee table book' because of its gorgeous photographs, and they are gorgeous!  But, to those of us who long for warm, comfy solitude somewhere out in the middle of nowhere, this is a wonderful guidebook for our imaginations.

My personal favorite is the rock house built into the side of a mountain.  It looks half traditional Alaskan fur trapper's combined with the Hobbit Hole.

Of course, there are a range of styles when you talk about the cabin, everything from totally rustic to ultra-modern log mansion.  I'm more on the rustic side.  I wouldn't want to go anything more high-tech than an antique cookstove from the 1940s.  But, that's just me.

The lakeside cabins were cool with their own docks.

I really like the ones with the huge windows all glowing in the night. 

There are also some floorplans and décor suggestions too.  And one with an adjacent lighthouse.  Some like to take old cabins and transform them into modern oasis, which is cool.  Not for me though.  I'll take that old butter churn and use it the way God intended, thank you very much.

Of course, the rest of my family...uh...not so much.  They like to recharge their iPhones and such.

There's some landscaping plans and ideas too.  I really like that.  I told my husband he must landscape in such a way that it looks awesome, but it looks like it just happened.

Oh, migoodness, there's one picture of a seriously cool kitchen that has an enormous farm sink and ragged old green cupboards.

Another cabin is half-built out of shipping containers.

My favorite is still the Alaskan Furtrapper's Hobbit Hole though.

Definitely get this book if you're at all curious about getting away from it all!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/back-to-the-cabin-dale-mulfinger/1114831432?ean=9781600855214

No comments: