Wednesday, November 13, 2013

LOG CABIN DUTCH OVEN by Colleen Sloan

I found this little gem in a used book store and let out a "squuueee!" which I'm sure could be heard for several city blocks. 

Chuck the dang microwave!  Okay, maybe not just yet.
.
I have been fascinated by Dutch Ovens since I first watch Frontier House, the PBS historical reality show about pioneer life.  Here's the series on YouTube-   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfUgTWJ4ngE&list=PL872C99D9FA0E253E

At some point during the first episode, the families are taught how to cook over an outdoors firepit with a dutch oven.  And, believe you me, it's no easy task!  If you're used to 'one minute on high' and then push the button, honey, you gotta 'nother thing comin'!  However, I'm told once you get the hang of it, you'll love it and it's easy enough just because of that.
.
So, after I watched Frontier House, I had a hard time finding books on cooking outside with dutch ovens.  I did find a couple in the camping section, Roughing It Easy by Dian Thomas  

and Ultimate Camp Cooking by Mike Faverman and Pat Mac


Since then, I've found several other newer releases, gorgeous enough to be coffee table books.  I've read all that I could get my hands on, but none of them are as easy to learn the basics from than Colleen Sloan's book.  I'm not sure, but appears to have been self-published at first.  My copy is very old.  But, now it's out with Gibbs Smith

Ms. Sloan takes you through the basics, your tools, seasoning the cast iron, judging the temperature, how many coals on top of the lid, and so on, and, of course, some fabulous recipes.
 
So, if you're a Hobby Farmer, like me, or daydreaming about camping in the Spring, also like me, get you one of these books and start learning.  I don't think I can wait until Spring.  I think I'm gonna have to take my bad girl out into the snow.

Much love, Buds.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/log-cabin-dutch-oven-colleen-sloan/1112058965?ean=9781423631354

No comments: