Monday, October 28, 2013

Writerly Wisdom

I'll be posting about other writers' wisdom, but I'll start with mine.
.
Here's my Page on it from my authorly blog-   http://kimberansblog.blogspot.com/p/writers-resources.html
This is old, by the way.  I just checked all the links and they're good, but I will add that Bookends closed up shop.  They've left their blog posts up though and I encourage you to read all of them.  Also, I would like to add the personal website addy for Jacqueline Lichtenberg
.
I say it's an old Page because I've been out of the writing/publishing loop for a year and a half and that's like eternity in this business.  That's one of the reasons I started this new blog.  Book Reviewing is the most fun way to get back into the writing groove I know of.  The other reason is I missed reviewing.  In any case, you know those little warning that come with your keyboard about being careful because repetitive stress can cause injuries?  Obey it.  Also, you need to be fast in this business, but I have learned that it can be very dangerous to do *too much too fast.*
.
Just because I couldn't write for over a year, doesn't mean I couldn't keep learning about writing.  I couldn't be on electronic devices hardly at all, but the public library has many paper books to be checked out for free.  Also, you can find help in unexpected places.  I learned a lot just by watching the Bonus Features for the extended versions of the Lord of the Rings movies.   http://www.barnesandnoble.com/listing/2690678626770?r=1&cm_mmca2=pla&cm_mmc=GooglePLA-_-DVD-_-Q000000633-_-2690678626770 
  It started with J.R.R. Tolkien and talked about his life, education, experiences in World War I that inspired him, how he achieved publication and the Tolkien phenomena grew.  Also, the script writing and movie making process was extremely educational and inspirational too.  And Elijah Wood is just so gosh-darn cute.
  I've said it before.  I've observed that the best writers are the ones who never stop learning about their craft. 
.
In addition to book reviewing, I will be *slowly* finishing the last novel in the Ophelia Dawson series, Sugar Crash.  The rights to first three ePublished books in the series are now mine again, so I can do whatever I want with them.  I just don't know what I want to do besides finish it. 
.
Also, I have a post-apocalyptic story in the nagging stage, but it'll be several years before it sees the light of day.  It's called The Grizzly Bear's Child
.
Finally, I've managed to sort out the story which first got me started down the path to publication, The Star Captains' Daughter.  See, the trouble with that one was that it's so huge in my imagination but I lacked the skills to sort it out into something comprehensible and enjoyable to other human beings.  This is because my greatest weakness as a writer is Structure.  I have to work very hard at it.  I'm still not there either, but almost.
.
So there you have it and I'm hopeful there's cool new software to make my big comeback easier to.  Christmas is coming!  Much love.
.
FYI:   NaNoWriMo is write around the corner.  Better check this out by Halloween.   http://nanowrimo.org/

No comments: