Friday, January 9, 2015

Style Me Vintage, a series by various authors

If you want to go Vintage, Retro, and/or Rockabilly, there are plenty of resources.  I found several lovely YouTube geniuses, like Vintage Vanity, but, of course, I also went straight to the library. 
I used to have a huge European pram to haul my library books home in, but my 'baby' is waaaaay too big for that now.  I must have been a sight, struggling under my huge stack of books to the car.  But, I don't care.  Good books are more important than worrying how I look hauling them.  I need a utility cart I sometimes see ladies go shopping with.

Anyway, I found a wonderful series on how to do your hair, make-up, and clothes in the vintage style.  I like the one pictured and link the best, probably because it covers the most.  I particularly like the section in which they reference the style icon of that decade.  For general look, it turns out I'm more like Rita Hayworth, the 1940s icon, than Marilyn Monroe, the 1950s icon, but I am okay with that. 
I like long, red hair -- and so does my husband!  So, I figure that makes me a 1940s starlet on the verge of an upbeat new decade, just getting the new red lipstick and full skirts I couldn't have during the austere war years.  Uh, yeah, that's it! 

Anyway, these are good books to get into it with.  I checked them out from the library and if I could choose only one to buy it would the one on clothes, hair, and make-up combined.  http://www.unique-vintage.com/style-me-vintage-step-by-step-retro-look-book-sku-65632.html?gclid=CPXR06_JicMCFQaDfgod94YAvw

FYI-  There are three different groups within this style, as far as I can tell as a newbie.  It seems to me the Vintage Purists are at one end of the spectrum, Retro somewhere in the middle, and Rockabilly's on the other end.  They're all a lot of fun, super kind, and wonderfully imaginative.  Although I've always had a vintage heart, I'm new to all this.  But, if you explore the link list on the left sidebar, you'll see several different examples of each. 

I think I would be a Vintage Purist, if I could, but my husband and children are too 21st century for that.  So, I'm probably somewhere in the middle of Retro.  I remember when I first watched the documentary Time Warp Wives   the phrase "visually proactive" came to me.  I think that means there is something in the mind and heart which these ladies have become visually proactive in pursuing along their path in life.  And I happen to find it truly inspirational.  ;)

No comments: