Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Vintage Housewife


The 1950’s housewife has been much maligned in her pearls, joyfully scrubbing the kitchen floor while looking after her husband and impeccable offspring. 

The distaste, of course, comes from the fact that all women were expected to fulfill that role back then.  A mother who worked outside the home was met with disdain.  But, are we any better nowadays?  By that I mean, are we happier, better women?  Sometimes I wonder.  The reason is nowadays women have choices, which is great!  But, that doesn’t stop them from criticizing, ridiculing, and even insulting the choices of other women.   How is it not sexist to insult the choice of a woman to stay home, wear pearls, scrub her kitchen floor, and look after her husband and children?  She’s a woman and that is her choice.  Should she not be applauded for making that choice?  I think so.
Of course, I've seen it go both ways.  Some stay-at-home mothers criticize work-outside-the-home mothers too.

Yes, I’m a housewife, a stay-at-home mother.  Although I aspire to  Leave It To Beaver  I’m not there yet.  My husband says I’m more like  I Love Lucy  – I often mess up with amusing results, but I never stop trying!  And I have red hair...most of the time.  Thankfully, he appreciates all that.

There are many resources to vintage homemaking now.  My two favorites are  Time Warp Wives   and   The Glamorous Housewife   and I'm constantly learning about more.

And here is a modern resource-   The Family Manager  

Here's a fun British documentary of some women who are what I believe is called 'Vintage Purists' and why they choose this lifestyle-   Time Warp Wives documentary    The first featured 'wife' is also an accomplished singer and here is her website under her stage name-   Lola Lamour  

Make your own choices in life!  There's plenty of inspiration for them.

No comments: